I made this card for a man who is in prison. I had to be very careful with how the card was made. No glue, staples, crayon, glitter or any embellishment could be used on the card. At the prison, all mail is opened and inspected, so if the card does not meet specifications, the prisoner will not receive the mail. I wasn’t sure what to do. I looked online for the standard in sending mail to prisoners. I also talked to the man’s wife. So I went with no line stamping and coloring with colored pencils. I don’t know why colored pencils are allowed but crayons are not. I wanted the card to be colorful and cheerful.
To stamp the images, I used
- 90# Canson Watercolor Paper – This paper is off-white. It can be easily folded without cracking on the fold. I needed paper with “tooth,” since I was using colored pencils on it later.
- Simon Says Stamp Ink Pad, Barely Beige
- MISTI Stamping Tool
- bird – Stampendous, Fran’s Cling Snow Bird Stamp
- sentiment – Hero Arts CL787 Holiday Petals and Leaves Stamp Set
- holly and snowflakes – Simon Says Stamp Swell Christmas Stamp Set
- boxes – My Favorite Things Diagonal Background Stamp, laid both ways
I stamped the bird image first and colored it.
Then I stamped the sentiment, colored it and added the holly.
I thought about leaving it at that. It looked nice. But I wanted more pops of color. Since I couldn’t glue anything on the card and had to keep it one layer, I added the snowflakes around the bird and the boxes.
I masked off the diagonal lines on both ends in order to get the line lengths I needed. Barely Beige ink was used again to stamp. Lines were stamped in one direction, then I turned the stamp around and stamped the lines with the diagonals going the other way. A ruler was used to add the colored pencils in straight lines.
- Prismacolor Colored Pencils
- Dove Blender – Used on the bird image.
- Post-It Tape – to mask off the diagonal lines that are not needed
- Tombow Mono Sander Eraser – This works great at removing unwanted colored pencil marks.
I can’t wait to find out if our friend was allowed to receive this card. I will ask his wife. Thanks for stopping by to have a look at my no line colored pencil card. I am impressed with the SSS Barely Beige ink. The image lines do not show when going over them with the pencils.
Count your blessings where you are,
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Icy Inspiration http://www.inlinkz.com/new/view.php?id=742328
Paper Sweeties December Challenge, Christmas https://papersweeties.com/category/blog/ https://ltsqldb.com/v2_thumbnail_linky_enter.aspx?id=282975
52 Christmas Card Throwdown, December – Pick a Previous Challenge from 2012 or 2013; My pick is March 2012 Christmas Animals/Birds. http://52cct.blogspot.com/2017/12/december-pick-previous-challenge-from.html
Simon Says Stamp National Christmas Card Day Challenge http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/page/2/