Here’s a birthday card I made for a friend who has a sparkling personality. On the inside of the card, I wrote, “Sparkle and shine on your special day! Happy Birthday!”
I wish you could see the sparkle in the photo. The camera doesn’t do it justice.
The sparkle was made by rubbing my finger on a pad of VersaMark sticky embossing ink, followed by rubbing my finger on the card front in the colored area around the flowers. I then sprinkled Recollections Clear Silver Embossing Powder on the card front. Next, I wiped off most of it with my finger. I took off too much, so I reapplied it, and this time brushed it off with a large mop paint brush. As always, a heat gun set the sparkle.
On the left side (inside the card) I wrote these Scripture verses:
1Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee. 2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee. Isaiah 60:1-2
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 5:16
Not being sure where I was going with this, I started with Ranger Watercolor Paper trimmed to 5 x 7 inches. Then using Tim Holtz Distress Inks and finger daubers on a craft sheet, I dabbed Wilted Violet, Spun Sugar and Shabby Shutters here and there on the card front, leaving the top left corner white. I spritzed the inks on the paper with water to make them spread. The card front was then dried with a heat gun.
I didn’t like the way the ink stained in a couple of places along the edges. So I trimmed the paper down to 4 x 6 inches.
The bottom left corner was cut off and the top right corner was rounded with a Creative Memory Corner Rounder Tool. I went around the edges of the card front with a finger dauber in the Wilted Violet ink.
It was time to make my card base using 110# Neenah Crest Solar White Cardstock, cut to 9 x 6.5 inches and folded in half. This made a 4.5 x 6.5 inch card. I then cut a piece of Simon Says Stamp 100# Green Apple Cardstock to 4.5 x 6.5 inches. Using a Cuttlebug Embossing and Die Cutting Machine, I dry embossed the green apple cardstock with a Sizzix Embossing Folder. I don’t know the style, since I had it before I started keeping the names of tools. Both of these were rounded at the top right corners.
I wanted a ribbon that was the same color as the pink used on the card. So I got out some white rayon ribbon and cut off 20 inches. I put Spun Sugar Ink on the craft sheet and spritzed it a little with water. The ribbon was then wallowed around in the watery ink. I wanted the ribbon to be crinkled and distressed looking, so I scrunched it up and held it with a paper clip while the ribbon dried.
I tied a bow in one end of the ribbon and cut off the remaining piece with fabric scissors. It was now time to put the sparkle on the card. Using a flower from the Hampton Art Graphic 45 Ladies Diary Afternoon Tea Stamp Set, I stamped several flowers with VersaMark Sticky Ink in the MISTI Stamping Tool. The flowers were then embossed with Recollections Gold Embossing Powder and a heat gun.
It was at this point that sparkle was given when the card front was embossed with Recollections Clear Silver Embossing Powder as described at the beginning of this post.
I decided to edge the Green Apple embossed card panel with the Shabby Shutter ink and a finger dauber. In the end, I wished I hadn’t, but that’s just my personal preference. Some may like the browned edges this gave to the final look.
The piece of ribbon was added to the card front. To cut down on the bulk, the ribbon was trimmed and taped at the back of the card.
Now for the sentiment….. Using the computer, the sentiment was typed, then printed on vellum. I love this Bazzill 40# Vellum. It is superior to the vellum purchased by the sheet at Michael’s. Then the sentiment was cut out using the Cuttlebug Embossing and Die Cutting Machine and a die from Simon Says Stamp Banner Dies. I then edged the banner with a finger dauber and VersaMark and sprinkled it with the Clear Silver Embossing Powder. The excess was brushed away with a small brush. This made a pretty edge after it was melted with a heat gun.
The cardstock was adhered in layers with a Scrapbook E-Z Adhesive Tape Runner. The vellum fishtail banner was adhered to the card front with a Tombow Mono Adhesive Tape Runner. This tape runner is not as easy to see under the vellum as the E-Z Tape Runner is. The bow was attached to the front with a Zots Medium Dot Adhesive.
Several Simon Says Stamp Assorted Moonshine Sequins were adhered to the front of the card with Ranger Multi Medium Matte Glue. A large acrylic block was laid on the sequins while they dried.
I was surprised how easy it was to make the Tim Holtz Distress Inks work on this card, just by dabbing on the colors and then spreading them around with spritzed water. I love the way the dried ink looks. If you do this, avoid getting the violet and green together. They turn brown. To be safe, you could apply one ink at a time and dry it with a heat gun before adding another color.
This is a birthday card for summer, so I wanted to keep the colors light. By changing the words, a card like this can be used for many occasions. I hope you give it a try. Let me know if you do. It would make my day.
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Distress It http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
Word Art Wednesday Challenge Weeks #290-#291 – Anything Goes http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com/